Sunday, July 31, 2011

Travels to Sanya

While I was missing in blogger action, I had a little trip away to Sanya in China. As I'd never heard of Sanya before it wasn't as though I was taking a holiday, it was for work. Sanya is the southernmost city in China and is renowned for it's tropical climate (or as I experienced insanely hot and humid) and is a common tourist destination. It was an interesting place but there were some nice things to see whilst not lounging  by the pool sipping cocktails - ooops and working!!

The view from my balcony

Looking out to the beach amongst  the palm trees

 We spent a very hot day at the Nanshan Temple


Hot or not, it was beautiful

Eighteen Arhats - individuals who followed the Eightfold Path and attained the Four Stages of Enlightenment, and are also followers of Buddha. 
They have reached the stage of Nirvana and are free of worldly cravings.

Guan Yin of the South Sea of Sanya statue -  108m tall, the statue has three aspects (one facing inland while the other two faces the South China Sea. 
It represents blessing and protection by Guan Yin of China and the whole world.

Some colourful little gems in the market

We finished the trip off with a great Pirate themed party with great centre pieces such as this.


On the way home we stopped in Hong Kong for a couple of days, just for shopping no sightseeing required!!

Overall a great trip, with great people, in a location I've never been before and most likely will never go back to ...



images myfirstlittleplace

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful place. When I saw your post, I just had to pop by. I lived in Hong Kong for five years, and Asia gets into your heart and never leaves. Hope you had fun shopping there. Sanya looks amazing.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great holiday, bet you didn't complain about the heat once you got back to Aussie's chilly shores!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Michelle, that's because I live in Cairns so I came back to perfect, warm weather :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I LOVE reading your comments!