Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Blogger Home : A Brooklyn Limstone In Progress

For my next blogger home, we are heading all the way over to the states. To Brooklyn to be precise to Adventures In Renovating A Brooklyn Limestone. Isn't the title of the blog just a dream *sigh*.


The lovely Ms Brooklyn Limestoner has opened up her home to show us and answer some delving questions into what it has taken her to get this beautiful home.

What is your occupation?
My 9-5 isn't very exciting, corporate job that pays the bills. I try to keep the other side of my brain happy with more creative pursuits like running a graphic design business (www.sonicstefdesign.com) and brooklynlimestone.com.



How would you summarise your style?
I love mixing old with new. Sometimes people get into a rut thinking that pieces have to be from the same period or style to match but putting the right kind of pieces that are at odds with each other really gives the space personality. I also love it when there is at least one item in the room that is unique and/or personal. Not only is it a good conversation piece but it also gives a visitor a little peek into the homeowners life.


I really love the kitchen, so beautiful. The cabinetry, lights, bench top and the blue stools all work so well together.

Where do you find your inspiration?
I don't really have a good answer for this - things just pop into my mind. I'm sure it has alot to do with being a devoted blog reader and soaking in a lot of what is shared on them. I love to travel so seeing the architecture and decor in other countries has a big influence on me as well.


So much to love about this bathroom, actually everything it's adorable

What's life like living in Brooklyn?
Obviously I think it's great. Aside from having Manhattan and all that it has to offer a stone's throw away, Brooklyn has a very distinct scene of it's own so I'm never bored. We have beautiful green spaces, architecture and tons of restaurants and stores. The neighbourhood I live in is more on the residential side so I get a more relaxed community to come home to without having to give up the rest. Of course there are downsides too but they are more than outweighed by the good.



Best and worst thing about renovating/decorating your own place?
The best about renovating is being able to have it the way I want it. I didn't have to deal with anyone else's idea of a good idea or style because I made all of the choices myself based on what I liked and how we lived. The worst is definitely paying for it along with having to deal with the aggravation of dealing with contractors, permits, etc.


This space works really well. Great idea for the desk top, it's a door that was stripped back now it's just waiting for a glass top. And the birdcage looks perfect in the corner.

What are your favourite places to shop for the home?
Even though I often don't have great luck with them, I just love second hand furniture. Notice I don't say antiques because I don't really care about the pedigree of an item - I just like older things. Much like my appreciation of older homes, I like the idea of pieces with history. On the flip side, I'm also a Target fan for accessories and little things. There is always something I want to bring home with me.

What is the most treasured piece of furniture you ever bought, were given or found and why?
Hmmm...I don't really tresure my furniture really. I like most everything I have but I don't have any emotional connection to it really. I guess the item I received as gifts like my ghost chair and my vintage dress form are the things that pop to mind.


I believe her name is Ethel, she's lovely!

What's your favourite room in your house and why?
Tough question. Maybe my bathroom? This is the first time I've lived in a house with more than one bathroom so it's still pretty novel. And having my own medicine cabinet is a dream!


Yet another gorgeous bathroom

What makes a house a home?
For me it's two things: a) those little things that tell a story about your life like photographs and books and diy items and b) a cohesive look that is soothing and makes you want to spend more time there.


Thank you Ms BL for sharing your home with us, it's beautiful xx


images brooklyn limestone

2 comments:

  1. A lovely home! I love to have beautiful things in my home like anyone else, but ultimately for me it's the people...family & friends that make a home, along with the little treasures collected that mean something. Oh how I would love two bathrooms so I could have my own cabinet!! Ax

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! Thanks for stopping by to say hello! I love these pics, especially the aqua blue walls. I'm following your blog now!

    Cheers!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving me a comment. I LOVE reading your comments!